Saturday, March 3, 2007

My letter to the editor, Daily Mining Gazette

The following is a letter to the editor which was printed in The Daily Mining Gazette, in the February 24/25, 2007 weekend edition.

To the editor:

I am writing in response to the opinion article “Letter on abortion angers local resident,” which was printed in the Feb. 10/11 edition of The Daily Mining Gazette. As a husband and father, and in consideration of the fact that the writer of the article is a lady, I will attempt to be as chivalrous and charitable as I can, while making a couple points which I believe need to be made.

Firstly, the writer referred to Mr. Thomas as having no room to speak to the issue at hand, since he is a man. It would seem that a position like this would make as much sense as saying someone who was not of African descent, could not oppose slavery; likewise, a person who was not Jewish could not have opposed the Holocaust, or a man cannot oppose violence against women, because he is not a woman. I would submit that it is especially men who must protect women and children, including preborn children, and I commend Mr. Thomas for doing so.

Secondly, Miss Harju spoke of Planned Parenthood offering “a multitude of services, not just abortion.” I would contend that, just because an organization offers other services which some persons (clearly not myself) may consider good, does not negate the evil works which that organization commits. After all, Hitler got the economy booming; surely the author would not contend that Hitler therefore should have been allowed to continue his government.

Lastly, the author made the statement, “If they feel that abortion is right for them, then that is their decision.” I would imagine that murderers of born people feel it is their decision to commit murder; likewise, robbers feel the same. However, just because they feel they have the right to commit crimes, does not make it right to commit them. There must be a standard by which actions are judged, and that standard is the Word of God. The Bible says, in Proverbs 14:34, “Righteousness exalteth a nation: But sin is a reproach to any people.”In closing I would like to invite readers to visit my new Web site www.michiganprolifers.net, and feel free to comment on any or all of the articles. People who support murdering preborn children are also invited. I have a link especially for pro-aborts. Thank you for taking the time to read.

JAMES NIEMELA

Pelkie